Newcastle United have been advised to avoid any battle with AC Milan on future transfer instalments for Sandro Tonali.
Toon sporting director Dan Ashworth was unable to confirm whether Newcastle were taking legal action against Milan after it emerged that Tonali had gambling addiction issues just weeks after his transfer from the Serie A club. It remains to be seen whether United go down that route.
The £55million deal is understood to have had incentives and future instalments but Newcastle would be in hot water with FIFA if they refused to pay up. There is a sad precedent for the case with Cardiff City told by FIFA they had to pay the rest of Emiliano Sala’s fees to Nantes. Sala was killed in a plane crash on his way to complete his move to the Bluebirds.
Newcastle have found themselves in a tough position on Tonali and are focusing on the midfielder’s rehabilitation. It remains to be seen whether there is a legal fight between Milan and Newcastle with the San Siro club insisting they knew nothing of Tonali’s problems.
Ashworth had been asked if he thought Milan knew but witheld the information and said earlier this month: “It’s really difficult for me to get into what other clubs do or don’t know.
“All we can do is look at our own internal investigation and internal process. It’s a really difficult question for me to answer – I just don’t know.”
Magpies step up their retail push with new appointment imminent
It’s an exciting time at St James’ Park with the club’s deal with the return of Adidas just around the corner. Newcastle have headed up several departments since the takeover and has now done so with the retail department.
A Newcastle plea to interested candidates reads: “This is an exciting time at Newcastle United and we are looking for talented individuals to help us on our journey. To help us deliver on our ambitious plans we have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Head of Retail Operations to support our exciting retail plans.”
Newcastle fans learn ticket allocation for Carabao Cup quarter-final
United will be backed by 4,300 fans at Stamford Bridge for the last eight tie against the Blues next month. The clash takes place on December 19 and could be integral to Newcastle’s hopes of silverware this season.
After 7,300 fans travelled to Old Trafford for the 3-0 win over Manchester United last month, Newcastle can again take advantage of competition rules with the club claiming 10% of the capacity. United are usually backed by around 3,000 fans at Stamford Bridge but will have a few more Toon fans behind them for this one.
Read The Full Story Here: Source