logo

ON AIR NOW

Newcastle United headlines as Magpies make FFP plans clear as January transfer plans under way

Here are your Newcastle United evening headlines on Sunday, November 19.

Newcastle United chiefs have made FFP plans clear after Everton, Man City and Chelsea problems

Everybody’s favourite abbreviation, FFP, is back in the headlines this week following Everton’s monumental 10-point deduction due to breaching Premier League profitability and sustainability rules for the three-year period ending in the 2021-22 season.

The Toffees have been plunged back into the relegation zone after an independent commission found the club’s financial losses to 2021-22 amounted to £124.5m. Premier League clubs are only permitted to lose £105m over three years. Sean Dyche’s Everton are the first English top-flight club to receive a punishment for failing to stick to FFP guidelines.

While Newcastle United are safe from any similar punishment after their prudent balancing of the books, the same can’t be said for top-four rivals Manchester City and Chelsea. Pep Guardiola’s men have been charged with more than 100 alleged breaches of the rules by the Premier League.

READ MORE: Newcastle will face three major problems if deciding to recall Yankuba Minteh from Feyenoord

City have denied any wrongdoing and continue to fight the charges through lawyers. Meanwhile, Chelsea are also under investigation for alleged breaches relating to the era of Roman Abramovich’s ownership.

The possible plight of three top flight teams reaffirms how refreshing it has been to watch Newcastle’s ownership carefully try to navigate the league’s financial rules. After the Saudi Arabia Public Investment Fund’s takeover in 2021, it would have been very easy, and tempting, for Newcastle to simply outspend each one of their rivals.

Read the full story, here.

Two in and three out – How Newcastle United’s January transfer window could look after Ashworth hint

Christmas is still some way off but that hasn’t stopped football fans dedicating significant time and energy to thinking about the January transfer window. In Newcastle United’s case, such an avalanche of injuries has led the Geordie faithful to ponder what needs to be done when the winter market rolls around.

Eddie Howe remains tight-lipped on the subject, insisting his focus is purely on the football. Sporting director Dan Ashworth, however, can’t use the same reasoning to get out of tough questions on the subject.

Speaking with north east-based reporters earlier this month, Ashworth addressed whether there was a desire to replace Sandro Tonali during his suspension, gave his thoughts on Newcastle doing deals for Saudi Pro League stars and much more. In the conversation, the former Brighton chief also gave a glimpse into what January may look like for the Magpies.

“We do have a little bit of flexibility and we can look at the market,” Ashworth said. “But there are lots of ways to do it. We are going to have to be quite creative and there will not be a large number of players coming in.

“But we do want to be active. We want to strengthen the squad and give us the best possible chance of success. But if the right player does not come up, we won’t do anything.”

So, Newcastle will be active – but what could January look like?

Read the full story, here.

Kieran Trippier withdraws from England duty and returns to Newcastle due to ‘personal matter’

Newcastle United star Kieran Trippier has withdrawn from England duty due to a ‘personal matter’, the club have confirmed. The right-back featured in Friday’s 2-0 win over Malta but will play no part in Monday’s clash with North Macedonia as he returns to Tyneside.

Trippier was the only Newcastle star in Gareth Southgate’s England squad for this round of internationals after Callum Wilson was forced to withdraw through injury earlier in the week. The Newcastle vice-captain played the entire 90 minutes at right-back as the Three Lions side failed to impress at Wembley against Malta.

Newcastle supporters will no doubt be sending to their support to Trippier after hearing the news of his withdrawal.

Read the full story, here.

Read The Full Story Here: Source