Her heart breaking with every step, brave Dionne Barrett has returned to the spot where her life changed forever.
Six months ago today the loving mum raced to Sovereign Place in Elswick, Newcastle, after being told her youngest son, Gordon Gault, had been stabbed.
But nothing could have prepared Dionne for the sight that would greet her when she arrived, or the devastation that would follow.
Gordon had been carried to Sovereign Place after allegedly being attacked with a blade close to Elswick Park, on the evening of November 9 last year.
Neighbours desperately tried to give the 14-year-old first aid as they waited for emergency services to arrive.
But nothing could be done to save his life, and Gordon passed away in hospital six days later.
Thirteen suspects arrested in connection with the teen’s death remain under investigation, but no-one has been charged with killing Gordon.
And now, six months on from the deadly alleged attack, Dionne, who believes there are still people out there who could help with the investigation, has returned to Elswick to beg anyone with information about her son’s death to speak to police.
The 37-year-old, from Benwell, said: “I just can’t get over the fact that these people are still walking the streets.
“I can’t face going there because it’s along there that people aren’t saying anything. I can’t look at anyone.
And in a direct plea to those who may have information about Gordon’s death she added: “Please just open your mouths and say something. It could have been any kid.
“It’s been six months now. People just need to do the right thing.”
Gordon was stabbed just half an hour after leaving his family home on his bike.
Soon after, someone called Dionne to tell her he was injured, and a friend drove her to Sovereign Place, where Gordon had collapsed.
When she arrived she saw Gordon’s friends and people from nearby homes desperately trying to help the severely injured teen.
“The phone call is a blur, but what’s sticking in my mind is when I got there. It’s that image that is in my head and I can’t get rid of it,” said Dionne.
“I wasn’t expecting it to be as serious as it was. I just didn’t expect it to be as bad as that.
Gordon, who dreamed of joining the army, was taken to the Royal Victoria Infirmary. But nothing could be done to save his life and he died six days later.
Detectives have described the investigation into Gordon’s death as “complex” with 20 people initially arrested. Seven of those have since been told they will face no further action.
But Det Chief Insp Matt Steel, of Northumbria Police’s Major Investigation Team, has told of his determination to get justice for Gordon.
He said last month: “A comprehensive homicide investigation has been ongoing ever since the murder of Gordon Gault and our thoughts remain with his loved ones.
“We remain absolutely committed to seeking justice for him and his family and getting them the answers they deserve. We are determined to ensure those responsible for his death are put before the court.”
In January Dionne shared harrowing pictures of her son lying in his hospital bed just days before he died, in a bid to encourage people to come forward to police.
“I really thought it would be done by now,” she said. “I can’t grieve properly until it’s done. I’m nowhere near starting to recover. I can’t accept he’s gone. I still feel like he’s here. It’s a strange feeling. I know he’s gone, but it doesn’t feel like it.
“It’s hard to explain. It feels like it’s been a lot longer but time has also stood still over the last six months.”
Anyone with information about Gordon’s death should call Northumbria Police on 101 quoting log number NP-20221109-0955.
Read The Full Story Here: Source